St Mary’s Catholic Church, Duke Street
St Mary’s Church in the Parish of Our Lady of Furness opened for worship on the 28th August 1867. It was the first Catholic Church built in the Borough of Furness. The building is situated on Duke Street along with Ramsden Square and the Town Hall. St Mary’s is a Neo-Gothic style Church and was built in a prominent position in the heart of the town on land which was presented by the Duke of Devonshire. The Church was designed by Edward Welby Pugin, a famous architect who designed and completed more than one hundred Catholic churches. There is a chapel of Our Lady placed adjacent to the Altar. The chapel serves as a quiet area in solitude surrounded by the light of the stained glass windows.
In 1976 St Mary’s Church received Grade II listed status by English Heritage. Today the Heritage Lottery Fund are supporting the restoration of the church spire. The spire was an addition to the original building in 1888.The Church is open daily from 10-3pm. For further information on Mass times and morning prayers please click here.
- For further Church history please follow this link.
- For history of the convent, schools and local historical information please see the following link.