Fr. Bernard Woods: was born on 18 June 1943 in Carlisle. He was educated at St Bede’s CatholicPrimary School, Carlisle before studying for the Priesthood. He was ordained to the Priesthood for the Diocese of Lancaster on 9 March 1968 at St Bede’s, Carlisle.
Following ordination, Father Woods held the following appointments:
Assistant Priest, Our Lady & St Charles, Keswick/Lakeside House/Castlerigg: 1968-1970
On the Junior House staff at UshawCollege: 1970-1972
Assistant Priest, Our Lady, St Anne’s on Sea: Sept-Nov 1972
Barrow Catholic Youth Centre: 1972-1981
Castlerigg Manor: 1981-1983
Assistant Priest, St Mary, Kells: 1983-1988
Parish Priest, Our Lady & St Edward, Preston: 1988-2003 (& Director of the former Catholic Caring Services during this time)
Parish Priest, St Cuthbert, Blackpool: 2003-2009
Fr. Bernard’s final appointment was as Parish Priest of Sacred Heart and St Columba with St Patrick parishes, Barrow from 2009 – until his sudden death on 20th May 2013.